From R. S. Dills' History of Fayette County
In connection with his store, Peter Hefley also sunk a tan-yard on his yard in the rear of his store room, and exchanged goods for hides, and in this manner carried on business for several years. This was the first tan-yard at Washington, and started perhaps shortly after he opened his store.
The next tannery of Washington was started by McQuita and Stran, in about 1820, on the north corner of Court and North streets. The business was continued five or six years.
In about 1838, Jesse L. Millikan started a tannery on Main Street, near the C. & M. V. depot, on the site of the present dwelling of James Ely, and carried on the business five or six years.
- Union Township Home
- Early Settlers
- Early Business
- General Features
- Old Times
- The Pioneer House
- Council Proceedings
- Reliance Fire Engine, Hook And Ladder, And Hose Company
- Township Reminiscences
- Methodist Episcopal
- Mt. Olive Methodist Protestant
- Methodist Episcopal - Colored
- First Baptist
- Second Baptist - Colored
- Protestant Episcopal
- Schools of Washington