Fayette County History & Genealogy

History of Fayette County


From R. S. Dills' History of Fayette County

WASHINGTON

Washington, the county seat of Fayette County, is located near the central portion of Union Township, on Paint Creek, and occupies a part of entry No. 757, which consisted of twelve hundred acres, and belonged to Benjamin Temple, of Logan County, Kentucky, who donated one hundred and fifty acres to Fayette County for a county town, or seat of justice. The deed conveying this land to the county was made December 1, 1810, by Thomas S. Hind (throngh a power of attorney from Temple), to Robert Stewart, who was appointed by the legislature of Ohio as "Director of the Town of Washington," and who had the town laid off sometime between December 1, 1810, and February 26,1811—the date of the record of the town plat.

Union Township