From R. S. Dills' History of Fayette County
This township, occupying a central geographical position in the county, containing the county seat, is therefore of more commercial importance than any other portion of the surrounding territory.
Inasmuch, however, as it has contributed largely to the county history, the facts for its individual history will be somewhat anaemic. It was one of the original townships, formed co-evil with the organization of the county, in 1810; its boundary lines have been but very little changed. Beginning about a mile east of Bloomingburg, on the Marion Township line, it runs a little south of west about four and a half miles to the pike ; then deflects a little to the south until it reaches Paiat Creek, about two and a half miles; thence nearly southwest about two miles to Sugar Creek; thence with said creek about ten miles to Paint Creek; thence north with the pike one mile; thence east one mile to Paint Creek; thence north two miles with the creek, thence northeast two and a half miles to the pike; thence north of east three miles to C. & M. V. R. R.; thence northwest with the pike three miles; thence north to beginning.
The township is well watered by Paint Creek, which bifurcates near Washington into the east and west branch, and on the west by Sugar Creek.
The township generally is level, the western portion rather heavily timbered, while the northeastern part was called the barrens^ very low, wet, and even swampy, covered with high grass in early times, which. was annually burnt oft' by the Indians.
- Union Township Home
- Early Settlers
- Early Business
- General Features
- Old Times
- The Pioneer House
- Council Proceedings
- Reliance Fire Engine, Hook And Ladder, And Hose Company
- Township Reminiscences
- Methodist Episcopal
- Mt. Olive Methodist Protestant
- Methodist Episcopal - Colored
- First Baptist
- Second Baptist - Colored
- Protestant Episcopal
- Schools of Washington