From R. S. Dills' History of Fayette County
The Allens, Ananias and his sons, came from Pennsylvania, about 1809 or 1810, and settled near Bloomingburg, on what was then called the "New Purchase," which was so called because it was the first purchase on the east fork of Paint Creek. The Allens all took part in the war of 1812.
Enoch Harvey, with his father, Samuel, and brother, James, came from Virginia, and settled on Deer Creek, near Yankeetown, about 1810.
The Coons also came from Virginia, and in about 1800 located near the site of the Harveys, putting up four or five little cabins for their accommodation.
Albert Ogden was a Virginian; came to this county in 1803 or 1804, and settled north of Yankeetown.
Isaac Dickinson came from Virginia, and located near Yankeetown, on the farm now occupied by Tom Jones.
John Page was a settler of 1804, and a Virginian; was one of the first justices of the peace of the county. Settled near the Dickinsons.
James McCafferty and his brothers were Virginians, and came here about 1804, and settled northwest of Yankeetown.
William Morgan came also from the Old Dominion, in about 1808, and settled first in Ross County; then located adjoining Samuel Myers, on Duff's Fork of Deer Creek.
Charles White came from Maryland, about 1809 or 1810; settled west of Myers' on Long Branch of Deer Creek.
Thomas Barton, son of Stephen Barton, came from Virginia, about 1804 or 1805, and settled just across Deer Creek from Yaukeetown.
Jesse Stretch came from Pennsylvania in 1804, and located south of Yankeetown.
William Sawyer came from the "Emerald Isle" in 1810, and put up a cabin near Stretch.
James Rozzell, from Pennsylvania, and Amos Hawkins, from Virginia, came in 1810, and stopped near Yankeetown.
Amstead Carder, from Virginia, settled on the Springfield road, south of Bloomingburg. He was a son of Sanford Carder, an old revolutionary soldier, who drew a pension for his services in the same.
John McGowen was cook in the war of 1812, in S. Myers' company.
Two bachelors, by the name of George Kyle and Alexander Riley, lived together in a cabin near Bloomingburg, but finally quarrelled and parted, because one accused the other of being intolerably filthy. Riley subsequently moved to Compton's Creek, but cut hay and fed cattle on his farm. He would go in the evening to feed his cattle, crawl into the hay stack and remain till morning, feed again, and return home. These old bachelors came to the county some time previous to 1810.
Daniel Hinkle, a tall swarthy Virginian, was a powerful man, and noted fisticuffer.
John and Samuel Herrod, were sons-in-law of Sanford Corder; both came from Virginia, and in, about, 1808, setled on the west side of Madison Township.
Thomas Cook came from Maryland in 1808.
James Thompson, son-in-law of James Hayes, came from Kentucky, and settled on a fork of the north fork of Paint Creek, which afterwards took his name.
George Busic, in 1806, settled on Deer Creek, hailing from the "Old Dominion."
Sol. Parker, also a Virginian, settled on the Springfield road in 1808.
George Jamison, from Kentucky, settled on Deer Creek, near the old trace leading to Chillicothe.
James Kerr, from Virginia, settled on the Springfield road.
John Mclntire, a very early settler, located south of Yankeetown.
Gideon Veezey settled on the farm now owned by Nathaniel Veezey, on Paint Creek.
— Salmon settled on a part of the old Veezey farm. He came from Delaware in about 1805 or 1806.
In the spring of 1811, Joel Wood, Adam Harper, and Michael Kerr, settled on a tract of land embracing 1,035 acres, survey Nos. 5780, 7043, and 6879, lying partly in Paint and partly in Jefferson townships, with Paint Creek running through the center.
Mr. Wood moved from Pendleton County, Virginia, and being a man of intelligence was created one of the first justices of the peace of the county.
Mr. Harper came from Ross County and remained about a year, when he returned, and his son Benjamin took charge of the farm.
Mr. Kerr came from Pendleton County, Virginia, and first settled in Jefferson Township. He was a farmer, and the father of Col. S, F. Kerr, of Washington.
Thomas McDonald came from Kentucky to Ross County in 1794, with Nathaniel Massie, and in about 1811 removed to Fayette and settled.
In 1810, or 1811, there was a large family of Allens left Pennsylvania, and settled in this county. Many of their descendants are still living: Elijah lived near the old Myers place, on the Bloomingburg and Danville pike, about four miles from the former; James and John lived near the present site of Bloomingburg. There were also George, David, and Ananias.