From R. S. Dills' History of Fayette County
FIRST SURVEY IN FAYETTE COUNTY
The first portion of land entered within the territory of what is now Fayette County, was a part of survey Nos. 243 and 772 in one tract, lying partly in Clinton, extending in a triangle into Fayette, southwest of No. 6,623, in the southwestern part of Concord. The next is a part of No. 428, extending into the extreme southeastern part of the county, and the first survey lying wholly within the county is No. 463, in the northern and eastern part of what is now Madison Township, surveyed for Thomas Overton by John O'Bannon, June 30, 1796; John Hamilton and Joshua Dodson, chain carriers, and Edward Mosby, marker. This tract contained 1,333½ acres, and was a part of military warrant No. 44. It was located northwest of the Ohio on Deer Creek, a branch of the Scioto, "Beginning at three white oaks and an elm, southwest corner to James Currie's survey (471) running east 320 poles, crossing Deer Creek at 148 poles to a hickory and two black oaks, southeast corner to Currie, thence south 8, west 597 poles, crossing the creek at 174 poles to a stake, thence north 16, east 615 to the beginning."